Heavenly Hashings

A 'not as funny as my other one' blog.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Castlegar, British Columbia, Canada

I am pretty laid back in personality. People say I am compassionate, and I love to travel.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

South Korea

Ok, now to hiking in South Korea. One of the things I liked in SOuth Korea were the abundance of speed bumps, what they call mountains. Ok, they are much bigger than the speed bumps in Ontario. I think most of the hikes I went on in Korea were designed many years ago before people thought about the term 'switchbacks'. Straight up and several were all 'stairs'. What I mean by that is that, for example, a hike I did in Jirisan National Park was just that, straight up and all stairs made by big rocks. It was def man made and it wasn't all even like wooden stairs in your house. So that made for a tiring and gruling hike. But it was great to build up that heart muscle. Another hike I did in Gwangju was mostly stairs but this time, wooden stairs. I think I prefer good old paths.

The Koreans are a very nature loving people in general. I wasn't on a hike where there weren't many Koreans hiking. Some were running, some were hiking downhill backwards (took me a little while to figure out why), many were using the 'monkey bars' they had along the paths. Yes, hiking is a definate way of keeping in shape. The have sit-up stations, chin-up bars, and basically any contraption to aid in physical fitness. They do love to keep their bodies noce and fit. Here I am, wearing my hiking boots, backpack filled with many liquids and clothing prepared for any weather, and the Koreans go breezing by in walking shoes and nothing on their back, except the odd walkman equipped with speakers. SO, when in Rome, do as the Romans do, so now I carry alot less stuff. But I still need my liquid.

The one thing that I found interesting was some fo the hikes that had music piped all the way up. And small restaurants and stores at the top of the mountain. Man, if I knew they had all this stuff, I wouldn't have worried about bringing any food with me.


The people were very friendly and many wanted to try out their English with me, which usually just was a hi, how are you. But I met many other Koreans who tried to show me the way (which was basically follow the pathy I was already on). One hike I did was a beautiful hike., I stayed up and watched the sun set and on the way down, a Korean slowed down and told me that I should go on the shorter path, the one that was all in the dark. I wanted to take the longer one, the one with lights so I can see where I was walking. But no, he insisted I follow him down the darker path, cause it was safer. Who was I to argue? I followed him and don't think I have ever hiked a path that I couldn't see where my feet were going. It was very rocky and I didn't have any depth perception in that dark of night. But we made it safe and sound and alot slower than I am used to, but I think the lack of light might have something to do with that.


So what is the difference between hiking in Korea and my hike in the Algonquin during Thanksgiving long weekend a couple of years ago? Nothing really except the country I was in. The majority of the people in the Algonqui were Asian. Nothing wrong with that though, since Asians are nature loving people. They are friendly and courteous at times.


The hikes I did near where I lived and taught were great and I did them often. I hiked Mt Hallasan which is South Korea's largest mountain located on Jeju Island. Unfortunatly, the crater was closed when I was there so we just hung out at the store/restaurant near the top. Oh well, I had fun.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home